Tuesday 8 June 2010

Is plastic really fantastic?

As you may or may not have guessed, I'm going to discuss plastic surgery in this post, mainly concerning Heidi Montag/Pratt (I'm not really sure what name she goes by). I realise this is probably slightly out-dated but it still shocks me how much her appearance has evolved over the years and, in true Carrie Bradshaw style, I got to thinking: why do people care so much about looking "perfect"? In my eyes, "perfection" doesn't exist, it is simply a term that exists to give us something to complain about. Noone is "perfect" and noone ever will be "perfect". When I think about how often celebrities get botched plastic surgery as a result of striving for perfection, I always wonder why they care so much. On the topic of botched plastic surgery, the obvious names always spring to mind: Joan Rivers, Michael Jackson, Priscilla Presley, Pete Burns etc. The amount of time and money these celebrities spend on their plastic surgery shocks me. Forgive me for being cheesy, but I think imperfections are what make people beautiful because it makes them real.


As I previously mentioned, Heidi Montag's plastic surgery is particularly ludicrous to me, simply due to the fact that, in my opinion, she was stunning beforehand. However, her motives for getting the amount of plastic surgery she has are rather dubious: was it simply just for media attention, which she clearly lives for, or did she genuinely believe she was unattractive? Either way, she has ruined her face and body, as well as wasting an incredible amount of money. Instead of improving her appearance, she looks like she has aged about 20 years in the space of only 2 or 3 years. I cannot understand, and probably never will understand, why anyone would go to so much effort to alter their appearance, just to eventually end up looking like a waxwork model.

No comments:

Post a Comment